Sun Stroke / Heat Wave – Its Affects – Some preventive Measures
Global warming is followed by rise in the temperatures during summer at an alarming rate each year. When temperatures are constantly at 40 degree Celsius and above, for a number of days or weeks, it is called, heat wave.
As per studies reports, there is an increase in the number of the people, who are getting hospitalized, because of heat stroke. Children, people who are old, patients and people who have excessive weight are likely to be affected first by excessive heat. Also, those people who work in heat or exposed to heat for a prolonged period of time are also expected to be effected by it.
When people constantly work under sun for a long period of time, there is a possibility of excessive loss of fluids from the body, in the form of sweat. This result in increase in the body temperatures, which, if untreated can result in heat stroke. When a person’s temperature control system in the body stops working, this results in increasing body temperatures which may ultimately lead to either brain damage or death. What needs to be done in this situation is to cool down the body and bring drown the temperature to normal.
Some measures that you can take to fight this kind of excessive and damaging heat are.
- Make sure that you have sufficient liquid intake, especially water.
- Many people consume carbonated beverages and beverages containing caffeine thinking that it will reduce thirst, but, these beverages actually dehydrate. So, stay away from them.
- Drink plenty of water, as this will replenish lost body fluids.
- Apart from drinking water, take electrolytes, coconut water and fruit juices. Fruits containing water such as water melon also can be taken.
- Many people drink Ice cold water; this is not good, refrigerated water can be taken but not too cold.
- Take balanced and light meals preferably fresh fruits vegetables and salads that are cold.
Extreme weakness, nausea Dizziness, confusion, thirst, headache, vomiting, fainting, rapid pulse and unconsciousness are the symptoms of heat stroke or heat exhaustion. Check for these symptoms in case of illness and take immediate medical care.